International Medical Graduates
International medical graduates may apply to our training program through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Applicants must have a valid ECFMG certificate and must be eligible for ECFMG sponsorship for the J-1 Visa as an exchange visitor for the entire program. The OSUMC does not sponsor H-1B visas for graduates of international medical schools seeking residency training.
Although there are no set rules on invitations to interview for IMGs and all candidates are compared with the current pool of applicants to evaluate eligibility, the following are desirable:
• Application within 5 years of graduation from medical school
• No prior PGY-1 experience
• It is highly advantageous to have at least one month of formal US inpatient clinical experience
• Two letters of recommendation from US physicians familiar with your clinical skills
• Excellent scores on USMLE Step 1 and Step 2